Monday, August 5, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!

So, here I am at 48!  My 47th year was obviously eventful with my Stage IV Melanoma diagnosis.  Oddly enough, it was a great year in many ways.  I found myself surrounded by the best support system I could imagine.  Family and friends drew nearer and poured on the love.  So many, actually were the hands & feet of Christ in our lives.  It's what I would expect from this bunch, though.  My appreciation for everything that is wonderful was highly intensified.  My moments with my babies are more precious to me than ever.  Things I once worried about, I barely give notice to.  I find myself actually in the moment & living one day at a time. When you are a Christian, on your walk with Christ, you strive for a close relationship.  You turn to Him in times of trouble, praise in times of joy, and long to be even closer.  I can tell you now, after my 47th year, and my diagnosis, that there is more to gain for your soul.  There are ways to have a closer walk with Jesus. Although it is hard to explain the phenomenon, we find the explanation in His word.

Romans 8:26,27 "Though the infirmities of Christians are many and great, so that they would be overpowered if left to themselves, yet the Holy Spirit supports them. The Spirit, as an enlightening Spirit, teaches us what to pray for; as a sanctifying Spirit, works and stirs up praying graces; as a comforting Spirit, silences our fears, and helps us over all discouragements. The Holy Spirit is the spring of all desires toward God, which are often more than words can utter. The Spirit who searches the hearts, can perceive the mind and will of the spirit, the renewed mind, and advocates his cause. The Spirit makes intercession to God, and the enemy prevails not."

If you read that passage and truly take in all of what it is saying, it can change your life.  If you are able to let go of your circumstances and the fears connected to them, and let the Holy Spirit work, you can find great peace.  My 47th year was important for my walk with Him.  I would not have chosen this path; it was set before me.  But I can tell you I have experienced the Holy Spirit "working and stirring up the praying graces" and "silencing my fears", first hand.  When I don't even know what to utter, I feel covered.

I hope my 48th year is just as full of the peace, joy and love I have had.  Let's try to be thankful in our circumstances, because there is such a bigger picture.  Concentrate on seeing Jesus in front of you & enjoy all the birthdays!


No comments:

Post a Comment